Thursday, August 25, 2005

When Someone Asks You If You Are A God, You Say "Yes!"


Watched that Ghostbusters DVD tonight. Haven't seen the movie in years, because I've only been able to get it panned-and-scanned. That didn't bother me when I was a kid and didn't know what it was, I must have watched it dozens of times on VHS (it pretty much defines the way I remember the 1980s). But now, thanks to the miracle of DVD, I'm able to watch it widescreen for the first time since seeing it in the theatre when I was eight years old.

I can't imagine a person not liking Ghostbusters, I bet even Pat Robertson likes it. It's pretty much a perfect movie comedy. Murray, Ackroyd and Ramis at their peak. A great supporting cast (Rick Moranis, Sigourney Weaver, Annie Potts, William Atherton). Tremendously quotable movie (the biggest 'Memorable Quotes' page I've ever seen at IMDB is in the link in the title).

The odd thing about it, seeing it now, is that there's absolutely no cynicism in it. Not that its sappy or cheesy, because it isn't at all. But there's a kind of wide-eyed optimism to the film. Maybe that's just a residue of my having watched it so much as a kid, but I really think that's why it was such the hit that it was. These guys have done funnier movies (Stripes, Vacation) and better movies (Trading Places, The Blues Brothers, Animal House, Groundhog Day) but I don't think they've ever done anything that is so appealing to so many people.

No comments:

Post a Comment