Wednesday, March 13, 2013

This Week in Rankings


This week I wrote a thing on auteurism and created a bunch of They Shot Pictures-related lists in Letterboxd, ones for the directors we've discussed thus far (Josef von Sternberg, Yasujiro Ozu, Hou Hsiao-hsien and Mikio Naruse) as well as ones for upcoming episodes (Johnnie To, Akira Kurosawa, John Ford, FW Murnau). I'll keep these updated as I watch more films from these directors. The Johnnie To list has been in a constant state of flux as I watch more and more of his movies, which inevitably leads to re-evaluation of the previously seen ones (that's auteurism at work).

Here are the movies I watched and rewatched this week and where they place on my year-by-year rankings. (Yes, they are all Johnnie To movies). I've linked to my full review of The Big Heat, the rest are linked to shorter reviews I wrote for each movie at Letterboxd.

The Big Heat - 13, 1988
The Heroic Trio - 23, 1993
Executioners - 24, 1993
Help!!! - 12, 2000

Turn Left, Turn Right - 10, 2003
Election - 5, 2005
Election 2 - 5, 2006
Triangle - 22, 2007
Linger - 29, 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment