Sunday, April 28, 2013

This Week in Rankings


This week I finished up my run through the action films of the 2000s and I'm about to start research for my next They Shot Pictures episode, on Akira Kurosawa. In the meantime I spent three days getting lost in the NFL Draft (go hawks) and Gilmore Girls (oh when will Bunheads get renewed??) and not watching any movies at all.

I made a ranked list of movies written and/or directed by Paul WS Anderson (the Resident Evil/Auteurism project is still in progress) as well as updated my list of John Ford movies (I've picked up Joseph McBride's Ford biography again after losing track of it for the first month of Henry).

Night Across the Street, the last film by Chilean director Raúl Ruiz, and one of my favorite movies of 2012, opened this week at the Northwest Film Forum. Also playing there is the documentary Leviathan, which I hear is very good but haven't had a chance to get to yet. And Terrence Malick's To the Wonder is still playing as well. So there's no excuse for going to see the new Michael Bay movie.

These are the movies I've watched and rewatched over the last week, along with where they place in my year-by-year rankings, with links to my letterboxd comments. Another revision this week is that Spencer Tracy knocks Lowell Sherman off the nominee list for Best Actor in the 1932 Endy Awards.

Me and My Gal (Raoul Walsh) - 6, 1932
The Gay Falcon (Irving Reis) - 25, 1941
The Muppet Movie (James Frawley) - 6, 1979
Event Horizon (Paul WS Anderson) - 53, 1997

Domino (Tony Scott) - 9, 2005
Hitman (Xavier Gens) - 71, 2007
Gamer (Neveldine/Taylor) - 41, 2009
Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning (John Hyams) - 21, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment