Tuesday, July 02, 2013

This Week in Rankings


In the two weeks since the last rankings update, I've managed to complete more podcasts than written reviews. The Jane Campion episode of They Shot Pictures went up a couple days ago, covering An Angel at My Table, Portrait of a Lady and Top of the Lake. The Sammo Hung episode of TSP will be posted this weekend, discussing Magnificent Butcher, Wheels on Meals and Pedicab Driver. I also started a new podcast with my old Metro Classics compatriot Mike, The George Sanders Show. The first episode posted last weekend, on Fritz Lang's The Big Heat and Johnnie To's Drug War. This'll be a weekly show, with Budd Boetticher's Ride Lonesome and Jim Jarmsuch's Dead Man scheduled for this week's show. You can follow both shows on twitter (@GeoSandersShow and @TSP_Podcast), in addition to following me personally @TheEndofCinema.

The two reviews I did write are for Huang Feng's Hapkido and Lau Kar-leung's Dirty Ho, two more entries in the Summer of Sammo. The rest of my reviews related to this dive into Hong Kong genre cinema are now compiled into the Summer of Sammo Index, now conveniently located in the link sidebar on every page. I added a new director list over at Letterboxd, for Fritz Lang, and updated a number of others.


Here are the movies I've watched and rewatched over the last week or so, and where they place on my year-by-year rankings with links to my short letterboxd reviews, where applicable:


The Big Heat (Fritz Lang) - 6, 1953
The Big Boss (Lo Wei) - 11, 1971
Hapkido (Huang Feng) - 4, 1972
The Paper Chase (James Bridges) - 11, 1973
Robin and Marian (Richard Lester) - 3, 1976

Dirty Ho (Lau Kar-leung) - 5, 1976
Challenge of the Masters (Lau Kar-leung) - 11, 1976
Magnificent Butcher (Yuen Woo-ping & Sammo Hung) - 12, 1979
Dangerous Encounters - First Kind (Tsui Hark) - 6, 1980
The Buddhist Fist (Yuen Woo-ping) - 17, 1980

Dreadnaught (Yuen Woo-ping) - 11, 1981
The Prodigal Son (Sammo Hung) - 16, 1981
An Exercise in Discipline - Peel (Jane Campion) - 17, 1982
Tiger on Beat (Lau Kar-leung) - 26, 1988
Sweetie (Jane Campion) - 15, 1989

An Angel at My Table (Jane Campion) - 7, 1990
The Piano (Jane Campion) - 9, 1993
Drunken Master II (Lau Kar-leung) - 4, 1994
The Portrait of a Lady (Jane Campion) - 12, 1996
Top of the Lake (Jane Campion) - 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment